Cost Of Living For A Single Adult?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Bill_*

Guest_Bill_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2006 - 03:50 PM

I have to estimate a budget for an assistant who will work with my wife and I, when we move to Lima next year. I specifically need to list the cost of an apartment and the cost of transportation. Since I'm on the other side of the equator, in a cheap Midwestern town, I have no idea. Can anyone give a good guesstimate? Thanks!

#2 Guest_akb_*

Guest_akb_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2006 - 04:21 PM

Obviously, this depends a lot on what standard of living you're expecting to provide.  If you speak Spanish, I'd like at El Comercio's online classifieds for real estate.  

El Comercio classifieds

Check out the listings for San Isidro and Miraflores--those are where most foreigners live.  If you want to go upscale, look at CMI and Alfredo Graf's websites.  They have nicer properties for rent.
http://www.cmi-peru.com/
and
http://www.alfredograf.com/  

If you don't feel like digging through classifieds, I'd say you can find a decent 1 br, furnished in Miraflores for about $350.  Cost of transportation obviously depends on where you're going to/from.  I'd suggest cab services vs. buying a car.  Traffic here is awful.  It's more expensive, but only marginally so.  If you could give details of size of apartment, district of residence, work location, it would be easier to estimate the parameters.

#3 Wolfy

Wolfy

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 05:37 PM

as a basic parameter, I usually find that one third of a personal U.S. city budget will suffice.
Viva el PerĂº! And other countries, too

#4 Just a thought...

Just a thought...

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 08:50 PM

Bill - I'm gonna concur with Wolfy on this one, more or less...something to consider are the bills needing attention in the states, as well as any bills, such as a Vonage phone or stateside account that will be utilized while in Peru.  In other words, bills that are based on the American economy, not the Peruvian one.   I'll try to get you some more info...

#5 Guest_Bill_*

Guest_Bill_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2006 - 11:57 PM

Thank you! I've been gone for Thanksgiving, so I haven't had internet access. I have a follow-up question about internet phone service. Some of my friends have Packet 8 and say it works well. Vonage advertises more than all other services combined. Does any service work especially well there? (Thanks in advance.)

#6 Guest_Bill_*

Guest_Bill_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2006 - 10:10 AM

I'll make the last question a new thread.

#7 ibericoa

ibericoa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 09:17 AM

[quote name='Bill' date='21 November 2006 - 03:50 PM' timestamp='1164142200' post='1382']
Hi Bill,
I work full time in San Isidro and live in Miraflores.  I can get by on 2500 soles living frugally and 4000 soles quite comefortably. I too am a single adult.  Hope that helps!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users